2015

2015

Monday, November 18, 2013

Privilege

A close friend of mine and fellow boy-Mama once told me that she considered it a “privilege” to raise a boy. I have thought about this a lot. I think that raising both genders is equally important and difficult, but I also think that there is just something different about raising a boy. I had not been able to put my finger on what it was until I thought about her comment.

One of the definitions of the word “privilege” is a special opportunity to do something that makes you proud. Maybe I think of raising a boy as a privilege since I am a girl and the inner-workings of boys are truly foreign, so I feel like I have the added extra responsibility to get it right? Maybe I always imagined I would have girls since I come from a family of girls? Or maybe I just love that little boy more than I could ever imagine so being his Mama has to be a privilege? Or maybe it is all of the above and more.

Every parent has hopes and dreams for their children…lessons they strive to instill in them from a young age. As parents, we are shaping hearts, souls and minds (no minor responsibility there, my friends!). Raising a boy, I am always aware that one day he will be the head of his household, responsible for his own family’s well-being. I want him to be strong, compassionate, loyal, responsible, generous, respectful, passionate and godly. That is tall order for a little boy, but what a wonderful man he will become if he has a foundation that emphasizes the importance of these traits and can apply them as a father, husband and citizen!

There are plenty of days when I’m certain that I am a complete failure when it comes to raising a little boy. There are other days where I am flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants and lucky that it worked out okay. Then there are other days when I think I have this whole “boy-thing” down. Let’s hope that there are more days to come when I feel like I’m acing the “boy-Mama” role because we have been given another precious and perfect gift from God. I have the “privilege” of being the Mama to another little BOY in May. Can you believe it? May Walker, a mother of ALL BOYS! My friends and family are in complete disbelief!

We found out the gender last week and are over the moon excited! I secretly (okay, not so secretly) wanted another little boy. It is the perfect addition to complete our little family. I am most excited that we get to “keep-on keeping-on.” I won’t be pulled in different directions from ballet to football and art to lacrosse. We will be in boy-mode 100% of the time…so much easier for the planner in me. ;) Patrick jokingly said I will be outnumbered and out-voted, but I think he knows better….

The baby is healthy and growing perfectly. I have felt worse with this second pregnancy but the second trimester seems to be bringing a little relief. Thank goodness! They will monitor me more closely this time after my first pregnancy. Dr. Sullivant and I are both optimistic that not having tax season will help remove a lot of the stress that may have contributed to my low fluid levels. Bed rest with a 2 year old would be an absolute nightmare, so I keep saying my prayers hoping to avoid that.

Thomas is very excited about the baby in Mama's belly. This is how he looked when we first told him! 

                                  

Then he realized that he would have to share his toys with his baby brother and gave me some attitude. Just kidding about Thomas's reactions. These are just some great shots that we got from Thomas's photo shoot. Couldn't resist because the captions just matched the storyline so well. More on the pictures in another post.

       

Lots to do before our new little man arrives and the nesting is in high gear! Luckily, it is duck season, so I can “piddle” on my little projects while Patrick is off hunting. One day, all three of my guys will be off to spend the weekends duck hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment